Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"HANK'S DREAM" BY THE SMOKIN' 45's



WARNING! THIS AUDIO IS PAINFULLY DISTORTED!

I'm posting it, regardless, because the guitarist (Dusty Ciggaar, from the Netherlands) has copped these Hank Garland licks so well. I suggest turning your speakers down pretty low, and watching his left hand for some clues about how Hank Garland played doublestops and moved around the neck. I haven't checked the original version to see if it's note-for-note, but he's definitely got the flavor. It's one of those Hank things where he seems to be playing rockabilly, hillbilly boogie, and western swing all at the same time. Hank Garland was one of the players who kept reminding us that all these styles are closely related, and it's nice to see that young pickers are still stealing from the master.

note-- the Garland family have been leaving very kind comments on this blog, and they've passed along the link to this clip of the Smokin' 45's. It's a rehearsal, and although the visual of Dusty's playing is not ideal, the sound is a little less distorted than on the live clip.

5 comments:

Hank Garland said...

Thank you very much for sharing "The Smokin' 45's" ! We loved their verison of "Hank's Dream" and they are our dear friends. We asked them how they came to play this kind of music and found out Hank Garland's music was passed down from their parents. That speak's volumes as to what kind of music you want to raise you children up on becuase Hank Garland played every genre of music. Thank you very much for sharing this post as it means allot to us and to Hank Garland.
Merry Christmas,
The Hank Garland Family

Karl Straub said...

It was my pleasure! I'm posting all the Hank Garland clips I can find, and I hope to put up some Hank transcriptions eventually. Hank Garland's playing will always be a great inspiration to me. He was the greatest!

Hank Garland said...

Karl,
You are doing a fine job. Everyone loves your postings. You have a wonderful site. It is my wish that you continue to pass on the great music and where it came from. The music you post is the music that will continue to live throughout History. Great American Music History. It is also important that this music is passed down to the younger generation of Guitar players etc. I do not like to see the magazines that promote very distasteful music. The one thing Hank Garland did not like to see was called guitar gods. No they are not & I agree. Thank you so very much. It is a pleasure to read your site and to be educated on the greatest music that was ever recorded!
Merry Christams and Blessings,
The Legendary Guitarist Hank Garland Family
if you need any transcriptions, pictures, etc. let me know. That is what I am here for.

Hank Garland said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRZssM5t1bo
Try this link of The Smokin' 45's,
they are playing "Hank's Dream". This is just a rehearsal. The one you posted was done by a cell phone. I talk to them all the time. Dusty Ciggaar is a great 19 year old Guitar player. The whole band is great in our opinion.
Mrs. Garland

Karl Straub said...

Thanks so much for the kind words, Mrs. Garland and Garland family. Your support means a lot to me. I'll keep the site going as long as I have time to keep it up, I hope for many years to come!

One of my backburner projects is writing some guitar instruction books that focus on country guitar greats of the past. I'm using this site in part to see if there is interest for books like that. I hope to get the time to follow up on this at some point-- Hank would be a perfect subject for a book about his playing.