Monday, November 30, 2009

JAMES BURTON, WITH THE SHINDOGS AND PATTY DUKE, "I'M HENRY THE VIIITH I AM"



James plays a hot solo here, a great example of how he could take a pretty stale song and breathe some life into it with his twangy rock and roll sound. Burton's country playing is generally my favorite stuff by him, but it's always interesting to see how he approaches a melody, no matter how generic the track is otherwise. Burton's work from this period shows how he was a master of the same skill I associate with Nokie Edwards from the Ventures-- the ability to take virtually any tune and attack it from a surf/trash/twang perspective.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going backwards, Nokie Edwards was the BASS player with the Ventures - the lead guitar player with them was Bob Bogle. James Burton did well with Rick Nelson, sure, but the soul of the Shindogs was Chuck Blackwell (drums) and Delaney Bramlett (bass) -- James' solo, on that outing with Patty Duke, FUMBLED ALL OVER THE PLACE!! Terrible, and he'd say so too!

Karl Straub said...

first, let me say i appreciate your comments, even though i don't agree with them.

re: the Ventures. Nokie did indeed play bass with them early on. after (i think) the first album or so, Nokie shifted to lead guitar and Bob took over bass. Bogle continued to play lead from time to time, but the majority of the music they made together involved Nokie on lead guitar. There is a 60s documentary of a Japanese tour where Nokie plays lead on every song, and plenty of album covers with Nokie holding a guitar.
here's the wikipedia entry-

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokie_Edwards

Re: the Shindogs. I'm happy to accept your idea that Blackwell and Bramlett were the soul of the Shindogs. I'm not an expert on that group, and this may be a reasonable statement. I can't agree that James's solo was terrible, though. I'm not sure how you know that James would agree with you-- maybe he would. If that solo is a bunch of fumbling, all I can say is I hope I learn to fumble like James Burton one day!

julie F said...

Nice to see the entire song here. It was cut off after the 1st verse when in syndication.