Tuesday, January 26, 2010

DON RICH WITH BUCK OWENS, "MY HEART SKIPS A BEAT," "FOOLIN' AROUND," AND "LOVE'S GONNA LIVE HERE AGAIN"



This clip from the Jimmy Dean show has three songs, not including a short dollop of "Bud's Bounce." Don has solos on "Heart" and "Love's Gonna Live Here." (Don's solo on the last tune is pretty different from the version I've transcribed. My transcription is from the Buck TV show, where Don plays a hotter solo. I'll put up this clip in another post.)

Check out the moment where, referring to the Buckaroos' Nudie suits, Dean says to Buck, "Not only do you sing good, but you just might glisten 'em to death."

Thanks to Stephen Worth for posting this, and Henry Kaiser for sending me the link.

Original link to boingboing site here--

boingboing.net/2010/01/23/adventure-02-bakersf.html

4 comments:

none said...

Okay, so what is the truth about how Don Rich tuned his guitar? I've read several disagreeing opinions... I don't think it is standard EADGBE though, at least not to my ears.

Karl Straub said...

They both tuned down a half step

Karl Straub said...

I don't know what the other opinions are, but there's plenty of audio and video evidence and I'm not aware of any dissent on this in the twang community.

none said...

Down a half step sounds right to me, and that is what I've heard most folks say. However, several people have told me differently, quite vehemently. I wonder if, like the rumor they had some sort of "magic box" that made their music sound particularly good on AM car radios, if perhaps someone started some tuning rumors just to make folks curious.