Monday, October 12, 2009

HOT COUNTRY LICK IN E


This lick spans four positions (every one but E position) and uses bends and slides. The key element here is the use of half-step grace note slides to give your picking hand a break. This can be used to get into a new position, but I think the most significant advantage to using these slides is to take some of the pressure off your picking hand; this helps you with speed because you don't have to work as hard. (The rock way to do this is to use lots of hammers and pulloffs-- this works in country too, but the sliding technique sounds a little hipper to my ears. (It's also common in jazz guitar.)

I came up with this lick while working with Doug Seven's excellent "modern" country guitar instructional material, available from his site sizzlingguitarlicks.com/.

I think Doug got this idea from Brent Mason and others.

At some point I'm planning to put up video of me playing in this vein, but in the meantime here's the notation.

No comments: