Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"JUST WALK ON BY" guitar solo sketches

I have an upcoming demo session with the country band Honky Tonk Heart. I need to work up a solo for "Just Walk On By." Here are a few sketches.

1. CHORD MELODY. This is the melody of the tune, more or less, with chords voiced under it. I like to start out by working up chord melody, because it usually sounds pretty good, and you can develop in just about any direction from there.
www.karlstraubmusic.com/just walk solo chord melody.mp3




2. SINGLE NOTE. This take has its moments. Here I'm playing in my default "Ray Price shuffle" style, where I try to play long lines, high up, with kind of a floating quality.
www.karlstraubmusic.com/just walk solo single note.mp3

3. SINGLE NOTE, MOTIVIC. On this take, I tried to reuse short ideas and vary them, giving the solo more cohesion. I also tried to work in a bit of the melody, and a couple string bends. (There's a tiny bit of Django Reinhardt flavor in there somewhere also.)
www.karlstraubmusic.com/just walk solo motivic.mp3

4. DUET. Here I combined my two favorite takes, just for the hell of it. When you're making a record, this approach is something of an indulgence, but sometimes you get something great this way. I doubt I'd go with something like this at the session, because after all it's a country band demo, mainly for the purpose of getting gigs. (If it were my own band, I might go with something a little odd like this. It's a good idea to go with your instincts on a record, if you'd prefer to gig less rather than more.)
www.karlstraubmusic.com/just walk solo duet-01.mp3

At this point, I'll take some time to listen to these, and think about what to keep and what to ditch. I'll also try to figure out why the tone was so different from the warmer sound I had the other day at the gig, even though I used virtually the same gear and settings! (Dead strings might account for some of the brittle sound I got today-- after a three set gig, especially in a sweaty and smoky bar, my strings never sound as good. )

No comments: