Friday, December 12, 2008

PHIL BAUGH, "COUNTRY GUITAR" CLIP

Here's a clip of the unsung great Phil Baugh, playing his classic showpiece "Country Guitar," where he apes Les Paul, Billy Byrd, Merle Travis, Luther Perkins, Chet Atkins, Hank Garland, and Duane Eddy.


He really captures each player's sound and style, and all with a Mosrite guitar. I'll tell you-- I used to have a Mosrite, and if I'd known you could get it to do all that stuff I would never have sold it.



I don't know if I'll get around to transcribing this stuff anytime soon-- that would take some serious work! Maybe if I get an avalanche of viewer mail about it-- In the meantime, enjoy the clip. There are other Phil Baugh clips on youtube, too, but this "Country Guitar" is a classic. You can get it on CD, as well-- a pretty good Phil Baugh collection called "Live Wire." (The studio version, according to what I've read, has Phil on a Tele.)

I got this clip from Charlie McCardell. (More evidence that steel players forward the craziest shit.)

No comments: