Thursday, January 28, 2010

UNKNOWN EPIPHONE PICKER SHOWS US HOW TO TWANG WITHOUT A FENDER



I love Tammy, but most of her music doesn't have this much guitar. This mystery guitarist plays a lot of cool stuff around the vocal-- I suspect if he had ever been on a Billy Sherrill session, he would have been advised to scale it back. Anyway, what difference does it make? We'll always have the immortal studio version-- but now you can enjoy this different kind of take on the song-- with even a little taste of "Chicken Reel" in there!

What I like about 60's country guitar is that a lot of pickers from that time retained elements from the earlier era (western swing, fiddle-tune idioms, etc.) while adding the new Bakersfield/Burton thing into the mix. I like to think of my style as growing out of this transitional approach that mixes swing and twang. (When I'm not adding Beck's Yardbirds fuzz licks into the equation, that is.)

No comments: